This page indexes the individual year in television pages. Each year is annotated with a significant event as a reference point.
- 1900 in television—The word "television" is coined by Constantin Perskyi at the First International Electricity Congress in Paris.
- 1907 in television — Boris Rosing transmits silhouette images of geometric shapes, using a Nipkow disc, mirror-drum, and a cathode-ray tube receiver.
- 1908 in television—In a letter to Naturedifjsk
- 1923 in television—Vladimir Zworykin patents the "iconoscope", the first ancestor of the electric scanning television camera.
- 1925 in television — On October 2, John Logie Baird achieves transmission and remote display of the first television pictures in his laboratory.
- 1926 in television — On January 26, Baird gives the first public demonstration of mechanical television to members of the Royal Institution. This is generally regarded as the worlds first public demonstration of a true television system.
- 1927 in television — Baird demonstrates the first ever system for recording television. His Phonovision system records pictures and sound on conventional 78rpm gramophone records. On January 1 British Broadcasting Corporation received Royal Charter. NBC is founded.
- 1928 in television — Baird demonstrates a mechanical colour television system. On May 28, the first television station, W2XB (forerunner to WRGB), begins broadcasting mechanical television in Schenectady, New York. Columbia Broadcasting System (CBS) is founded.
- 1929 in television — In September, the Baird Television Development Company begins experimental broadcasting in association with the BBC.
- 1930 in television – Baird installs a television at 10 Downing Street, London, the British Prime Minister's residence. On July 14, Prime Minister Ramsay MacDonald and his family use it to watch the first ever television drama, The Man With the Flower in His Mouth.
- 1931 in television – Allen B. DuMont perfects long-lasting reliable cathode-ray tubes later used for television reception. TV reaches the Soviet Union and France.
- 1932 in television – The BBC starts a regular public television broadcasting service in the UK.
- 1933 in television – The first television revue, Looking In, is broadcast on the BBC.
- 1934 in television – Philo Farnsworth demonstrates a non-mechanical television system. The agreement for joint experimental transmissions by the BBC and John Logie Baird's company comes to an end. First 30 Line Mechanical Television Test Transmissions commence in April in Brisbane Australia conducted by Thomas Elliott and Dr Val McDowall.
- 1935 in television – First TV broadcasts in Germany. The final transmissions of John Logie Baird's 30-line television system are broadcast by the BBC. First TV broadcasts in France on February 13 on Paris PTT Vision.
- 1936 in television – 1936 Summer Olympics broadcast
- 1937 in television – The BBC Television Service broadcasts the world's first televised Shakespeare play, Twelfth Night, and the first football match, Arsenal F.C. vs. Arsenal reserves.
- 1938 in television – DuMont manufactures and sells the first all-electronic television sets to the public. Baird gives the first public demonstration of color projection television. The BBC broadcasts the world's first ever television science fiction (R.U.R.), and television crime series (Telecrime).
- 1939 in television – The BBC suspends its television service owing to the outbreak of the Second World War. Broadcasts from 1939 New York World's Fair. Japan is the first Asian country to air television.
- 1940 - the American Federal Communications Commission holds public hearings on television
- 1941 - First television advertisements aired
- 1942 - FCC terminates all American television broadcasting because of the war; DuMont petitions FCC to resume broadcasting and receives approval
- 1943 - Hänsel und Gretel is the first complete opera to be broadcast on television
- 1944 - American Broadcasting Company (ABC) formed
- 1945 - National Broadcasting Company (NBC) begins the first regularly scheduled network service in the United States
- 1946 - RCA demonstrates all-electronic color television system
- 1947 - First broadcast of Howdy Doody and Meet the Press; the World Series is broadcast live for the first time
- 1948 - First broadcast of The Ed Sullivan Show
- 1949 - First broadcast of Come Dancing and Mama; the first Emmy Awards are given
- 1950 - First broadcast of Broadway Open House, Your Show of Shows, Sua vida me pertence and What's My Line?; Cuba is the first Caribbean country to receive TV; Mexico is the second North American country to receive TV
- 1951 - First broadcast of live United States transcontinental television takes place in San Francisco, California from the Japanese Peace Treaty Conference. I Love Lucy, See It Now, Dragnet
- 1952 - First broadcast of the Today show, Astro Boy and Flower Pot Men; Hockey Night in Canada and The Guiding Light move from radio to TV
- 1953 - First broadcast of Panorama; the coronation of Elizabeth II is the first of it kind to be broadcast on television
- 1954 - First broadcast of The Tonight Show and Face the Nation ; NTSC video standard for color television is introduced
- 1955 - First broadcast of The Honeymooners, Alfred Hitchcock Presents and Gunsmoke; ITV launches in the UK
- 1956 - First broadcast of The Edge of Night, As the World Turns, Playhouse 90, the Eurovision Song Contest and Hancock's Half Hour
- 1957 - First broadcast of Cinderella, Leave It to Beaver, Senda prohibida and Carosello; Brazil is the first South American country to receive TV
- 1958 - First broadcast of Blue Peter, Quatermass and the Pit and Moonlight Mask; the quiz show scandals wipe out The $64,000 Question and Twenty One
- 1959 - First broadcast of The Twilight Zone, Rocky and His Friends and Bonanza;
- 1960 - First broadcast of The Andy Griffith Show, The Flintstones, The Dick Van Dyke Show and Coronation Street; American presidential candidates John F. Kennedy and Richard M. Nixon debate live on television
- 1961 - First broadcast of The Avengers, The Defenders and The Morecambe and Wise Show
- 1962 - First broadcast of The Tonight Show Starring Johnny Carson, Steptoe and Son, The Jetsons, University Challenge, Elgar, That Was The Week That Was, The Late Late Show (Ireland) and Sábado Gigante; first satellite television relayed by Telstar
- 1963 - First broadcast of General Hospital, The Fugitive, The Outer Limits and Doctor Who
- 1964 - First broadcast of Gilligan's Island, Bewitched, Top of the Pops, Match of the Day and the Up series. BBC 2 commences broadcasting in the UK. Its first night of transmission is curtailed by a massive power failure.
- 1965 - First broadcast of Days of our Lives, Get Smart, Hogan's Heroes, Till Death Us Do Part, Des chiffres et des lettres, Tomorrow's World, Top of the Pops, The Magic Roundabout and The War Game; Nigeria is the first African country to receive TV
- 1966 - First broadcast of Star Trek, Batman, The Monkees, Ultra Series, Cathy Come Home and Mission: Impossible
- 1967 - First broadcast of The Carol Burnett Show, The Prisoner, The Phil Donahue Show, Ambassador Magma and Today (NBC); PBS launched; PAL and SECAM colour standards introduced in Europe, with BBC2 making the first colour broadcasts
- 1968 - First broadcast of 60 Minutes, One Life to Live, Dad's Army, Elvis and Rowan & Martin's Laugh-In
- 1969 - First broadcast of Sesame Street, On the Buses, Nu, pogodi! and Monty Python's Flying Circus; Apollo 11 Moon landing broadcast live worldwide; completion of Fernsehturm Berlin
- 1970 - First broadcast of The Mary Tyler Moore Show, Monday Night Football
- 1971 - First broadcast of All in the Family, Kamen Rider, The Old Grey Whistle Test, Chespirito, Parkinson and The Price is Right(on CBS)
- 1972 - First broadcast of M*A*S*H, Mastermind, El Chavo and The Bob Newhart Show
- 1973 - First broadcast of The Ascent of Man, Moonbase 3, An American Family, Ein Herz und eine Seele, Seventeen Moments of Spring, Last of the Summer Wine and The World at War; large-screen projection color TVs hit the market in the USA
- 1974 - First broadcast of Happy Days, The Rockford Files, Porridge, Tiswas and Derrick
- 1975 - First broadcast of Fawlty Towers,Saturday Night Live, Super Sentai, The Naked Civil Servant, Space: 1999, Good Morning America, Gruntovčani, Wheel of Fortune; Sony introduces the Betamax home video tape recorder
- 1976 - First broadcast of I, Claudius, O Casarão, Loriot and Nuts in May; Video Home System video tape recorders go on sale; completion of CN Tower
- 1977 - First broadcast of Abigail's Party, ¿Qué Pasa, USA? and Top Gear
- 1978 - First broadcast of Taxi, Matador, An Ordinary Miracle, Abarembo Shogun, Grange Hill and Pennies from Heaven
- 1979 - First broadcast of Life on Earth, The Meeting Place Cannot Be Changed, The Very Same Munchhausen, Los Ricos También Lloran, Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Spy and Blue Remembered Hills; ESPN launched
- 1980 - First broadcast of Berlin Alexanderplatz, Nightline, Strumpet City and Yes Minister; Cable News Network launched
- 1981 - First broadcast of The Smurfs, Hill Street Blues, Dynasty, Only Fools and Horses and Brideshead Revisited; MTV launched
- 1982 - First broadcast of Cheers, The Mysterious Cities of Gold, Chiquilladas, Boys from the Blackstuff, Family Ties and St. Elsewhere
- 1983 - First broadcast of Oshin, Auf Wiedersehen, Pet, An Englishman Abroad and Blackadder
- 1984 - First broadcast of Murder, She Wrote, Miami Vice, The Cosby Show, Thomas the Tank Engine and Friends, La piovra, Heimat and The Jewel in the Crown
- 1985 - First broadcast of MacGyver, Edge of Darkness, The Oprah Winfrey Show, Eastenders and The Golden Girls; the Discovery Channel is established
- 1986 - First broadcast of The Oprah Winfrey Show, Dragon Ball, Vasko de Gama from Rupcha Village, Casualty, Saint Seiya, The Singing Detective and Pingu; the Fox Broadcasting Company is launched
- 1987 - First broadcast of Full House, Thirtysomething, Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles, Ramayan, Inspector Morse, Married... with Children and Star Trek: The Next Generation
- 1988 - First broadcast of Roseanne, America's Most Wanted and Mahabharat
- 1989 - First broadcast of Baywatch, Seinfeld, Dekalog, Wallace and Gromit, Quantum Leap, Saved by the Bell, COPS, Shining Time Station, and The Simpsons; Eurosport launched
- 1990 - First broadcast of Beverly Hills, 90210, The Fresh Prince of Bel-Air, Law & Order, Tiny Toon Adventures, and Twin Peaks
- 1991 - First broadcast of Home Improvement, Nummer 28, The Julekalender, Æon Flux, Rugrats and Ren and Stimpy
- 1992 - First broadcast of The Larry Sanders Show, Cha Cha Cha, Melrose Place, and Absolutely Fabulous; Cartoon Network launched
- 1993 - First broadcast of the Late Show with David Letterman, Mighty Morphin Power Rangers, Cracker, The X-Files and Frasier
- 1994 - First broadcast of Friends, The Kingdom and ER
- 1995 - First broadcast of Father Ted, NileCity 105,6 and Neon Genesis Evangelion; O. J. Simpson murder trial televised; The History Channel launched
- 1996 - First broadcast of Jamais deux sans toi...t, Percy tårar, Detective Conan, The Daily Show and Our Friends in the North; first high-definition television broadcasts; Al Jazeera launched; first DVDs and DVD players go on sale
- 1997 - First broadcast of Fóstbræður, Buffy the Vampire Slayer, Un gars, une fille, South Park, Alles Kan Beter and I'm Alan Partridge
- 1998 - First broadcast of Who Wants to Be a Millionaire?, Studio Julmahuvi, The Powerpuff Girls, Cowboy Bebop, That '70s Show, Sex and the City and The Royle Family
- 1999 - First broadcast of The Sopranos, SpongeBob SquarePants, Futurama, The West Wing, Big Brother (Netherlands), Yo soy Betty, la fea, Freaks and Geeks, One Piece, Trick, Family Guy and Who Wants to be a Millionaire in America; Bhutan is the last country on Earth to begin regular broadcasts; first digital video recorders released by TiVo
- 2000 - First broadcast of CSI: Crime Scene Investigation, InuYasha, Summer Snow, Curb Your Enthusiasm, Survivor, Jackass and A Town Called Panic
- 2001 - First broadcast of 24, Smallville, The Amazing Race, Band of Brothers, O Clone, The Secret Life of Us, The Legend of Condor Hero, The Office (UK) and Six Feet Under
- 2002 - First broadcast of American Idol, City of Men, Madventures, Firefly, 100 Greatest Britons, Winter Sonata, Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex and The Wire
- 2003 - First broadcast of Death Note, Fullmetal Alchemist, Dae Jang Geum, All In, Peep Show, Arrested Development, Gospodari Na Efira and Naruto, NCIS
- 2004 - First broadcast of Deadwood (TV series), Bleach, Desperate Housewives, ¡Anita, no te rajes!, Battlestar Galactica, Hassan and Habibah, Full House, Super Girl, Lost and The X Factor; Euro1080 launches the first high-definition television broadcast
- 2005 - First broadcast of Prison Break, Spiral, Noghtechin, The Closer, Bones, How I Met Your Mother, My Lovely Sam Soon, Jayezeye Bozorg, Sto Para Pente, Pleasant Goat and Big Big Wolf and Grey's Anatomy
- 2006 - First broadcast of Türkisch für Anfänger, Planet Earth, Jumong, Heroes, Princess Hours, Code Geass and 30 Rock; the Netherlands is the first country to move to digital television; France 24 launched; HD DVD and Blu-ray Disc launched
- 2007 - First broadcast of Gurren Lagann, The 1st Shop of Coffee Prince, Golden Bride and Mad Men; the writers' strike shuts down US scripted programming in November
- 2008 - First broadcast of Breaking Bad, Vampire Knight, Generation Kill, El Cartel and Radio Arvyla; first 3D TV broadcasts
- 2009 - First broadcast of Modern Family, Glee, and Misfits
- 2010 - First broadcast of Glass Home, Sherlock, Solsidan, The Walking Dead, Hawaii Five-O , Mike and Molly , Blue Bloods , Boardwalk Empire, and Covert Affairs
- 2011 - First broadcast of Spartacus: Gods of the Arena, Game of Thrones, Ringer, H8R, Up All Night, Free Agents, The Secret Circle, 2 Broke Girls, The Playboy Club, New Girl, Unforgettable, The X Factor, Revenge, Charlie's Angels, Person of Interest, Whitney, Prime Suspect, A Gifted Man, Pan Am, Terra Nova, Hart of Dixie, Suburgatory, How to Be a Gentleman, Homeland, American Horror Story, Last Man Standing, Man Up, Grimm, Once Upon a Time, Allen Gregory, Bob's Burgers , Talking Dead , I Hate My Teenage Daughter, and Hell On Wheels
- 2012 - Coma, The New Normal, Go On, The Mob Doctor, Revolution, Hot Set, Partners, Ben And Kate, The Mindy Project, Vegas, Animal Practice, Guys with Kids, The Neighbors, Key and Peele, Last Resort, Elementary, Scandal, 666 Park Avenue, Arrow, Chicago Fire, Nashville, Beauty and the Beast, Brand X with Russell Brand, Emily Owens M.D., Malibu Country, the Ultimate Spider-Man, Derek
- 2013 - Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. , Peaky Blinders, Sleepy Hollow, Dads, Brooklyn Nine-Nine, The Blacklist, Intelligence, Star-Crossed, Us & Them , Gang Related, Mixology, Believe, Seed, The Last Ship, About a Boy, Crisis, Growing Up Fisher, Undateable, Wayward Pines, The Night Shift, Bad Samaritans, Black Sails, Bonnie and Clyde, Ray Donovan, Under the Dome, The Bridge, The White Queen , Low Winter Sun, Graceland, Whose line is it anyway, Crossing Lines, King and Maxwell, Devious Maids, Twisted, A Young Doctor's Notbook, The Fosters, Mistresses, Camp, Orange is the New Black, Love Thy Neighbor, Hannibal, DaVinchi's Demons, In The Flesh, Orphan Black, Bates Motel, Rectify, The Americans, Defiance, The Following, House of Cards, and Banshee
See also Edit
Community content is available under CC-BY-SA unless otherwise noted.